Wilson Greatbatch, co-inventor of the ﬁrst successful implanted pacemaker, founded Greatbatch, Inc. in 1970 to develop long-lived primary batteries to fuel pacemakers. His passion for reliability and innovation is the foundation for Greatbatch’s full portfolio of capabilities and offerings. We manufacture to customer and best-practice speciﬁcations. We deliver comprehensive consulting expertise and assembly services. Every day, Greatbatch supports and empowers its customers in their pursuit of revolutionary technology solutions.
Greatbatch, Inc. is looking to hire a Director, Product Development and Engineering. The primary purpose of this position is to direct all activities of an engineering department. Implements strategies (with input) related to the introduction of new products and existing products ensuring implementation is under time and resource budgets. Assists with the development and implementation of technical marketing strategy. Sets goals and objectives related to satisfying customer requirements. Provides oversight and leadership for team, technology road map and initiatives.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Directs new product development programs by establishing strategy and then providing leadership and organization necessary for successful implementation. Works closely with other departments to ensure proper implementation.
2. Manages a team of engineers and technicians as they design, develop, and introduce new products and systems to production, both technically and economically, and ensures the timely completion and proper prioritization of product development projects.
3. Establishes and supports the product development engineering team components and systems necessary to successfully complete critical company objectives and long range plans.
4. Acts as direct liaison to the Sales and Marketing team as they identify new business opportunities, and participates in the development and analysis of new business and market opportunities.
5. Provides oversight and leadership for R&D / Engineering team and its initiatives.
6. Responsible for championing continuous improvement initiatives in engineering technology, skills, and tools.
7. Participates in succession planning for management positions and in the recruitment and/or development of new talent for positions.
8. Manages engineering projects by establishing strategy and providing leadership and organization necessary for success.
9. Directly responsible for the Design Control elements of ISO 9000 as it relates to new product development
10. Selects design concepts and fundamental technology used for new products or improvement of existing products.
11. Provides direction to ensure continuance a union free work environment and maintains safe and ethical business practices, and adheres to Greatbatch, Inc. Quality policy.
12. Responsible for budget development and management.
13. Develops/implements new process/design methodology for improved performance and/or cost reduction.
14. Ensure proper implementation of new processes and design into production.
ADDITIONAL ACCOUNTABILITIES/REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
• Demonstrated ability to lead while providing direction and mentorship to staff.
• Strategic thinker.
• Outstanding communication skills – both written and oral.
• Demonstrated expertise in the design and development of battery systems, including battery packs and charging systems.
• Experience with circuit design for power management, cell balancing, AC/DC conversion, protection circuits, fuel gauging, and embedded firmware for battery systems.
• Ability to understand and incorporate the unique requirements, complexities and interrelationships between the custom battery pack, the charger and the portable device electronics to ensure highly reliable designs and requisite system level performance.
• Proficient with the mechanical design of battery packs and systems including injection molding.
• Experience with various testing methods and protocols (environmental, EMI, ESD, mechanical, qualification, etc.)
• Working knowledge and experience with IEC, UL, CE and FDA Standards.
• Ability to develop product designs that can be manufactured reliably and with high yields (DFM) and low cost. Strong background and experience in successfully bringing products to market.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on-time and to budget while satisfying customer requirements and expectations.
• Ability to travel – up to 40% (part of team located in Raynham MA; remote manufacturing location in Tijuana Mexico; Customer visits; Supplier visits, business related travel).
• Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum Experience: Minimum of 12 years of experience in Engineering or related technical position with five years of experience in a managerial capacity
• Specialized Knowledge/Skills Include:
• Deadline and resource management.
• Product technology road mapping, long and short term initiative development.
• Specific knowledge of battery products and industry.
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication, presentation and collaborative team-building skills.
• Demonstrated ability to take concept to production on time and on budget.